When it comes to fonts, size matters, considering that typography plays a key role in learning, memory, attention, reading, and thinking.
Perhaps you have an eye condition, or you simply like your fonts extra-small or extra-large—whatever it is, there’s a font for you. Most devices and browsers will allow you to choose your preferred fonts and font sizes.
Additionally, you can change and manage your font settings at any time. Keep reading to learn how to change the font size in your Firefox browser.
How to Change Font Size in Firefox Browser on Desktop
There are two simple methods to adjust the font size in Firefox on the desktop browser:
Method 1: The Firefox Native Zoom
If you need to quickly zoom in on a web page, this method can help you do that:
- Open Firefox, and click on the hamburger menu icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Look to the Zoom section of the menu.
- Click on the minus (–) icon to reduce the font size to a minimum of 30 percent.
Click on the plus sign (+) to increase the font size to a maximum of 500 percent.
- Click outside of the dropdown menu to exit.
Method 2: Change Firefox’s Font Settings
Want to change Firefox’s font type and size across all the websites you visit? Follow these steps to get started.
- Open Firefox.
- Click on the hamburger menu icon.
- Click on Options.
- Scroll down to Fonts and Colors under the Language and Appearance section. The default font is Times New Roman, size 16.
- Click on the Default font dropdown menu to change the font.
- Click on the Size dropdown menu to change font size. You can choose between a minimum of nine and a maximum of 72.
You can also click on the Default zoom dropdown menu to change the default zoom from 100 percent to between 30 percent and 500 percent.
- Check the Zoom text only box if you want to only zoom in or out on text while maintaining the current display size.
You can also click on Advanced to select fonts for other languages, as well as set the Minimum font size.
- By default, web pages set their own fonts and font size. You can change this setting by unchecking the Allow pages to choose their own fonts box. Then, click Ok.
How to Change Font Size Using Your Keyboard and Mouse
You can also change text size using keyboard shortcuts, as well as your mouse. This offers a quick solution when you need to increase or decrease font size on a page.
Firefox will display a percentage in the address bar, which represents how far you’re zoomed in or out. Note that this action increases font size as well as display size.
Once you arrive on a web page, press and hold the Ctrl key and move your mouse wheel up to increase font size.
- To decrease font size, press and hold the Ctrl key, and move your mouse wheel down to reduce font size.
- Press Ctrl + 0 to return to the default font size.
How to Change Font Size in Firefox on Mobile
Do this to change font size in Firefox on Android.
- Launch your Firefox browser, and tap on the triple dots menu icon to the top right or bottom right of your screen (depending on your toolbar settings). Then, tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Accessibility.
- By default, Firefox uses Automatic font sizing to make the font size match your device’s settings. You can disable the switch to manually manage font size instead. Font Size is set to 100 percent by default.
- Drag the slider left to reduce font size up to a minimum of 50 percent, and right to increase font size up to a maximum of 200 percent. The sample text highlighted in purple (just beneath the slider) will adjust accordingly in real-time so that you can see how the text will appear.
- To return to Automatic font sizing, simply enable the switch, but before that, make sure to manually return the Font Size slider back to 100 percent.
- Keep in mind that you can enable the Zoom on all websites switch, to allow pinch and zoom even on websites that prevent the pinch and zoom gesture.
What Changes When You Change Font Size in Firefox?
If you change font size in your Firefox browser, only the font size of on-page content will change. However, if you zoom in or out to change font size, the display size of every other on-page element will also change accordingly.
So, when changing font size, decide whether you want to change the font size only, or if you want to change the display size as well. The right font size will help you to reduce eye strain, as well as increase your focus.
How to Add Fonts to Adobe Photoshop on Windows and Mac
Want to add a new font to Photoshop? Here’s how to install and use new fonts on Windows and macOS.
About The Author
(9 Articles Published)
Joy is an Internet and Tech buff who loves the internet and everything technology. When not writing about the Internet or Tech, she’s busy knitting and making sundry handcrafts, or watching NollyWood.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our newsletter for tech tips, reviews, free ebooks, and exclusive deals!